You can save any printable file as a PDF! Word documents, spreadsheets, photos, and even webpages can be saved as a PDF file. PDF files are great because they are universally viewable since reader software is free and available on all computing platforms. PDFs are also a good way of sending documents that you don't want to be modified by the recipient. (Although PDFs can be modified and doctored to some degree by an experienced user with the right software.)
The instructions below will help you add this feature to your Windows PC with the CutePDF Writer software. Note that this feature is already built into Apple computers, so there's no need to install any additional software for this ability on a Mac. It's already there! And it's another small reason that Macs are great computers!
STEP 1 Download & Install the CutePDF Writer Software
To download and install the CutePDF Writer software...
- Click here to download the CutePDF Writer installer.
- Run the installer (CuteWriter.exe) after it downloads, and click the Next button in the Setup window.
- Select the I Accept the Agreement button on the License Agreement page, and click the Next button.
- IMPORTANT! Uncheck BOTH Ask.com installation requests...
Set and keep Ask as my default search provider.
Set and keep Ask.com as my browser homepage and new tabs page.
- Click the Next button after unchecking the above two requests.
- IMPORTANT! Click the Decline button on the Weather Channel Desktop Weather install request, then click the Next button.
- NOTE: You may be asked to download install the a PS2PDF converter. Click Yes for the CutePDF Writer installer software to automatically download and install it.
The PS2PDF software is required for CutePDF to function, but it is a separate download and install that the CutePDF Writer installer will do for you. This part of the process is perfectly safe.
- Click the Install button.
STEP 2 Rename the CutePDF Printer (OPTIONAL)
To rename the PDF printer to something more useful, perform the following steps...
- Go to Control Panel ► Devices and Printers.
- Right-click the printer named CutePDF Writer.
- Click Printer Properties.
- Change the printer's name from Cute PDF Writer to Print to PDF.
STEP 3 Print a Document to a PDF File
To save a document as a PDF file...
- Create or open any file than can be printed (Word document, web page, photo, etc.).
- Select File ► Print.
- Select the Print to PDF printer from the list of printers installed on your computer.
- Click the Print button.
- Give your document a name in the File Name field.
- Navigate to the folder/location where you want to save your file.
- Click the Save button.